Thursday, May 22, 2025

 A few things to note...

- I've just looked up ethics for Aleph.  I think 2-3 days ago, I wrote a follow up note to Hazzan Brewer, asking to talk to her, phone or zoom.  I had expressed concern to her that the program wasn't set up or accept MD residences legally, she said she'd check with their chair, and the next thing I heard, their chair was on my interview committee for the program.  Shortly later, I see I am not accepted, with a letter saying that people are not accepted for a variety of reasons.  And, now, I'm waiting to hear back from her. But, I shouln't wait forever.  Probably by tomorrow, I should ask if she got the letter.

- It's not clear what I want...except for understanding.  I have been accepted, and now have paid tuition, for their DLTI program. And, having read the ethics info, I see a few things:

a) that DLTI is in the envelope of Aleph

b) that routinely 6 months characterizes the length of time a complaint could be brought

c) that a significant person who would reasonably be called to respond to an ethics complaint is Soon Ji, who I did the JMMTT program with....and I HAD thought, separately from all of this, to consult with her on the issues plain to me about Aleph I had encountered.

d) the person I should be learning from in the DTLI program was also a person who interviewed me, and she had cause to write me after the interview, to direct me back to Hazzan Brewer for any substantive questions.

e) another resource person for me could be Jeff Roth...who was a principle, also, in the JMMTT program with me, and...is now on something like to board...or maybe a governor...for Aleph.

f) Another person I could go to is the other primary rabbi in the JMMTT program, Jordan Bendat-Apell

g) Earlier, when I was just waiting to be interviewed...I HAD let the cause for concern about Aleph just relax.  But, then Reb Laila kept putting me off.  As I kept waiting, I finally brought the concern to Hazzan Brewer. And, then finally, I continued the interview process.

h) although a question that could be asked, and it's a question my wife asked me to consider...is what I was looking for.  Then...things evolved, to the present time.  The renewed question is, again, perhaps, what am I looking for.  But,...

I) in a world where things can be gray, or dark, or bad...you want to move towards making them right.  Isn't that what I'm pursuing this for?

j) And, I suspect, only, that it may be that Rabbi Barenblat split from Aleph, inferring from I think what I read...that she didn't like the non-larger direction Aleph was taking. And, if that may be true, it is what puts Aleph on its existing trajectory, offering classes in a format that makes it inappropriate for many students to take them in the way they're offering them.

No comments: