Earlier in the week, I created a set of ideas and shared with our shul leadership. Now that people are posting their ideas to our listserve, I thought I'd just make this post that had been to leadership....public...and largely unedited. It may help to share how I've thought about this. The note is immediately below...
----------------------
Gerry, Ramon, Andi, Nan,
Getting ready for Yom Kippur, reflecting on our community
theme, I believe I’ve honed in on a likely target (though I’m flexible and can
change it), and am open to advice on a match/chevruta partner. I think
this program is set up, is that I would more formally ask for this assist on
Yom Kippur, and maybe you won’t have cause to reflect on this before then…but I
thought I’d grease the skids with this note. And, maybe I can identify a
partner before Yom Kippur, with or without your help.
I do think…of the 3 prompts given, #3, and tefillah, or
Jewish prayer, is a likely target.
I continue to reflect on this idea, and a different focus
occurs to me as time progresses.
I think both keva and kavvanah are targets…i.e., developing
skills with the service, and also, finding meaning in it.
Re the latter, I was reminded that Lawrence Hoffman has
either a combined book, or multi-volume series that is something I and my
partner could read. Doing a fresh look, I realize that Schwartz’s
Megatrends may be a new look into a similar idea that COULD be more broad
based. If a heavy effort were made, Kadish’s Kavanah is another book that
could be read together. Or all or none of these.
Also, I think appreciating and developing doors into the
service….for others….so…developing pedagogy and/or learning tools for the
service is an idea I have. Possibly helping with service instruction is
something I can do. This article I pulled up provides some ideas:
But, this morning, I further reflected that the very big
questions about tefilah might well be a target. For example, probably
near 16 years ago, my wife and I decided to become active within the Jewish
community, as something we would do together. But, right now….this
intention is not being fulfilled.
If my personal growth covenant were like our country’s
decision to invade Syria, I should think about what my strategic intent
is. And, if our original intent is not being addressed, anything I work
on that does not have the potential to feedback into that intent…may be missing
the point.
Adam frequently, and sometimes Betty do complain in finding
meaningful connections between what we might do during prayer, and what is
meaningful to them in their lives. Of course, social action is another
avenue, but if there were ways to link the big questions concerning prayer, and
the value in our participation in synagogue, with Jewish practice…that would be
a good direction.
And, it may be a bridge too far.
Anyway, this is what I’m thinking. It’s too long for
the 3 lines on the yellow form. Advice meanwhile is welcome.
I’d thought of asking Rain, and maybe she’d consider being a
partner, but she probably gets enough of this in her rabbinic program.
Also, all things being equal, I have a gender preference for a man, but a best
fit would trump that.
Thanks for reading. Matchmaking suggestions are
welcome.
Shana Tova,
Ira Z.
P.S. Feel free to forward or bury as
appropriate. Some of you have your own partners to find, I know.
----------------------------
So...to Shirat HaNefesh friends, here's some more spelled out ideas from me. Be in touch if some of this sounds cool, or alternately, if another but related direction makes sense instead.
Shana Tova,
Ira Z.

No comments:
Post a Comment