To the clergy, and administration, they hopefully know this story...though they may not.
For the good...there would be no story, were it not for Temple Shalom. One would suppose, if we affiliated somewhere else, some other story would have emerged. But...we have our story. A decade at the synagogue. Which we selected after a good vetting of other alternatives. It was to us a place with a heart. Once. But...back to this thread...
While waiting for my children in the parent's lounge, I casually read about a book that was to be influential to me. It was about how the liturgy could be transformative. And...I because excited. Yes...I have a particular history...of having been interested in eastern traditions. So...for many this is true. But...what one would like to see is the Temple support...in active ways...individuals who would like to engage more deeply, and purposely, in our traditions of prayer.
But, first, I received little support from anyone I would approach. Someone who would read with me and confirm the applicability of this text I discovered (Rosenberg's Liturgy as a Spiritual System is the text).
Then...clergy offered a hope. Over the years, both our Rabbis (only one is left now), the past Director of Education...offered to host a "spiritual learning contract" for members...but this did not bear fruit. Later, Rabbi F offered at our High Holiday services to call each & every member to talk with them about spirituality. Did he begin? I got no call.
You could say these are good & bad. Good because the inspiration was there...the book could be found. But...made the worse for the lack of support and follow through.
And then, finally...when my older son enters 7th grade, where the liturgy is part of the curriculum...Evan would have a chance to learn the meaning behind the words.
But...my efforts to dialogue with the teacher of 7th grade were without any fruit. And...g-d's honest truth...I did identify one session only dedicated to this topic (mostly it was on the Holocaust...also important, of course) that Evan accidentally, but had to miss.
Any sense of possible partnering action that might have been...with respect to what had blossomed over the years into an appreciation for the value of the Jewish liturgy...seemed to go untended. Despite numerous efforts on my part for it to be otherwise.
Fortunately, discoveries happened over time. In addition to Rosenberg, it's become apparent that at the Reconstructionist community, their prayer book has extensive kavvanot built in. Likewise, in the new Shirat HaNafesh, arisen from the ashes of fired clergy of Temple shalom, their Eitz Ratzon prayerbook seems to do a marvelous job...even better than Mishkan T'fillah (which itself is pretty good) of discussing the meaning along with the words.
In the transition piece developed by the couple of women whose name escapes me right now...a year before this Temple decision process...they produced an extensive report on Temple decision making. Imbedded in it included text that said that for some...it may be that the style of practice in Reform is not on the money for them.
This may apply only more or less to me. Fact is...I'm probably a more than excellent candidate for contemporary Reform practice. But...there are aspects of application that have gone missing in the pattern of practice we at Temple Shalom have adopted over effectively many years that, to my evolving understanding, has been unfortunate and unnecessary.
I have told others that our decision about affiliation at the Temple, post Labor day, was not in place. And, this remains the case. But...I have been motivated to lay out the reasons I have for substantial prejudice concerning the Temple. In substance, this blog has been a testament to this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
It's nice to check out your blog and get some of your ideas about Temple Shalom. As active as I was in trying to keep its clergy together, and as lamely as they treated the cantor and associate rabbi, I simply had no choice but to leave.
I'm glad I chance to see your son Bar Mitzvahed at TS today (he did a great job), but I'm also glad that Shirat HaNefesh is up and running. May it live long and prosper, not as a Bar/Bat Mitzvah mill, but as a thriving community that serves the needs of spiritually-seeking adults as well as children.
How fascinating to read about your thought process. I look forward to hearing more about how you and the rest of your family members decide to resolve your concerns -- which may seem, at times, to be mutually exclusive. Having spent many hours on the road during rush hour between our neighborhood and TS, I sympathize with the desire to find a closer alternative. Having two older daughters, that's no longer a personal concern. You, however, are still in the midst of twice a week (at least) runs to temple, so the desire to save time, gas, and frustration is understandable.
Dan, Kathy,
I sent you this note first as an e-mail, responding to the separate e-mail you wrote me today. But it is substantive...and I include it here...
Dan and Kathy, thank you both for reading my blog, and sharing your thoughts.
I continue to learn that collaborating is such an important process...and indeed...I had some powerful collaborative time with Betty this morning. As far as Shirat HaNefesh being something new...well....yes. Also...I was a part of the Concerned members of Temple Shalom, and my efforts to collaborate there were also not love and roses. These are not newer people as members of SHN, now, are they? Nor, did they go through a personal transormation? Nor, will we adopt a set of rules that teaches us to work well together. I don't know what those rules would be.
Although I do not collaborate well, I need to improve in this important area. It was the message I had for Evan yesterday, too.
I and we would be happy to support the overthrown clergy...we consider ourselves to be founding members, and early decided to be at least associate members. This...we are now. We may expand to fully join. But...without apology...our primary concern will be the connectedness and well being of our family unit, and with an interest to see that we learn Jewish principles in a meaningful way. Beyond that...frankly...the opportunity to make change at the fundamentals within the Reform movement represents to me the biggest opportunity for meaningful big change. Separately, affiliating with a reconstructionist movement leaves me the sense of making the strongest statement for voting for where others have come before me, having successfully collaborated...and come out with something that puts some meat on the bones for establishing principles for how a community should be run...by way of preventing what happened at Temple Shalom to happen again.
I will say this...and if you read my blog for what I myself am seeking...personally...you will see that the current directions for adult education, intentionally...map very nicely onto concerns I do have for both myself and Evan...thank you very much. I am less sure that this intentional selection is consistent with what the community wants...but I don't want to read too much into anything. Also...and separately...with respect to a place that is either close by, or one you could even walk to....SHN's current clergy, if serving to set an example...that would give one message by itself. But, I am aware that is complicated.
We are facing a natural deadline at this time...which is the beginning of religious school. Dan, you and I absolutely have been in different places. Then again...who knows. It's possible if you hadn't invited me to the first conspiratorial meeting of the Concerned Members of Temple Shalom...I would be a card carrying member of Temple Shalom right now. (Not likely...given the long standing relationship with Rabbi Serotta, and the decision to not continue his contract...but who knows about anything for sure). Instead, and despite the fact that Temple Shalom exists still on our short list of 4 communities...I found myself this morning readily calling the Temple corrupt. Since I am contemplating now placing this reply to you on the publicly viewable blog...let me add that I would like to contemplate how I would change this last sentence...and have not yet figured out how to do that. But I may, yet.
With all my best wishes,
And with a sincere hope our families will find natural ways to stay in touch.
L'Shalom,
Ira Zukerman
Post a Comment